Fax +44 (0) 1865 275047
I am a community ecologist interested in biodiversity loss and its consequences for the stability and functioning of ecosystems and the provision of ecological services. I currently work mainly in grassland and forest ecosystems. I am scientific leader of the Sabah Biodiversity Experiment in Borneo where we examine the impact of enrichment planting on forest regeneration after logging. I am part of the new NERC thematic programme: Human-modified tropical forests, which includes the SAFE project that investigates the effects of forest fragmentation on biodiversity. On the grassland side I am part of the Nutrient Network, a global co-operative program to understand how nitrogen enrichment impacts biodiversity in grasslands. I also have a sideline in ecological statistical analysis.
- Grace, James B. et al. (2016) Integrative modelling reveals mechanisms linking productivity and plant species richness. Nature 529: 390-393.
- Verheyen, K. et al. (2016) Contributions of a global network of tree diversity experiments to sustainable forest plantations. Ambio 45: 29-41.
- Isbell, F. et al. (2015). Biodiversity increases the resistance of ecosystem productivity to climate extremes. Nature 526: 574-77.
- Paine, C.E.T. et al. [33 coauthors] & A. Hector (2015) Globally, functional traits are weak predictors of juvenile tree growth, and we do not know why. Journal of Ecology 103: 978–89.
- Slik, J.W.F. et al. (2015) An estimate of the number of tropical tree species. PNAS 112: 7472–77.
- Lefcheck, J.S., Byrnes, J.E.K., Isbell, F., Gamfeldt, L., Griffin, J.N. Eisenhauer, N., Hensel, M.J.S., Hector, A., Cardinale, B.J., & J. Emmett Duffy (2015). Biodiversity enhances ecosystem multifunctionality across trophic levels and habitats. Nature Communications 6: 6936.
- Seabloom, E. et al. [64 coauthors] (2015) Plant species’ origins predict dominance and response to nutrient enrichment and herbivores in global grasslands. Nature Communications 6: 7710.
- O'Brien, M. J., Burslem, D. F. R. P., Caduff, A., Tay, J. and Hector, A. (2015) Contrasting nonstructural carbohydrate dynamics of tropical tree seedlings under water deficit and variability. New Phytologist 205: 1083–94.
- Oliver, Tom H. et al. (2015) Biodiversity and Resilience of Ecosystem Functions. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 30: 673-684.
- Lüscher et al. (2015) Strikingly high effect of geographic location on fauna and flora of European agricultural grasslands. Basic and Applied Ecology 16: 281–90.
- Hector, A. (2015) The New Statistics with R, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- O’Brien, M.J., Leuzinger, S., Philipson, C.D., Tay, J. & A. Hector (2014) Drought survival of tropical tree seedlings enhanced by non-structural carbohydrate levels. Nature Climate Change 4, 710-14.
- Hautier, Y, Seabloom EW, Borer ET, Adler PB, Harpole WS, Hillebrand H, Lind EM, MacDougall AS, Stevens CJ, Bakker JD, Buckley YM, Chu C, Collins SL, Daleo P, Damschen EI, Davies KF, Fay PA, Firn J, Gruner DS, Jin VL, Klein JA, Knops JMH, La Pierre KJ, Li W, McCulley RL, Melbourne BA, Moore JL, O’Halloran LR, Prober SM, Risch AC, Sankaran M, Schuetz M & A. Hector (2014) Eutrophication weakens stabilizing effects of diversity in natural grasslands. Nature 528, 521–26.
- Philipson, C.D., Dent, D.H., O’Brien, M.J., Chamagne, J., Dzulkifli, D., Nilus, R., Philips, S., Reynolds, G., Saner, P. & A. Hector (2014) A trait-based trade-off between growth and mortality: evidence from 15 tropical tree species using size-specific relative growth rates. Ecology & Evolution 4: 3675–88.
- Schneider, M.K et al. (2014) Gains to species diversity in organically farmed fields are not propagated at the farm level Nature Communications 5, 4151, 1-9.
- Borer, ET et al. (2014) Herbivores and nutrients control grassland plant diversity via light limitation. Nature 508: 517-520.
- Byrnes, J.E., Gamfeldt, L., Isbell, F., Lefcheck, J.S., Griffin. J.N., Hector, A., Cardinale, B.J., Hooper, D.U., Dee, L.E. & J. Emmett Duffy (2014). Investigating the relationship between biodiversity and ecosystem multifunctionality: challenges and solutions. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 5, 111–124.
- Byrnes, J, Lefcheck, J.S., Gamfeldt, L., Griffin, J.N, Isbell, F. & A. Hector (2014) Multifunctionality does not imply that all functions are positively correlated. PNAS 111: e5490.
- Bruelheide, H. et al. (2011) Ecological Monographs 81:1, 25-41.
- Turnbull, L.A., Levine, J.M., Loreau, M. & Hector, A. (2013) Coexistence, niches, and biodiversity effects on ecosystem functioning. Ecology Letters 16, 116–127.
- O’Brien MJ, Philipson CD, Tay J, Hector A (2013) The Influence of Variable Rainfall Frequency on Germination and Early Growth of Shade-Tolerant Dipterocarp Seedlings in Borneo. PLoS ONE 8(7): e70287.
- Barrufol M., Schmid B., Bruelheide H., Chi X., Hector A., Ma K., Michalski S., Tang Z., Niklaus P.A. (2013) Biodiversity Promotes Tree Growth during Succession in Subtropical Forest. PLoS ONE 8(11): e81246.
- Seabloom, E.W. et al. (2013) Predicting invasion in grassland ecosystems: is exotic dominance the real embarrassment of richness? Global Change Biology 19, 3677–3687.
- Baeten, L. et al. (2013) A novel comparative research platform designed to determine the functional significance of tree species diversity in European forests. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 15, 281–291.