Research in the Biochemistry and Systems Biology area investigates the cellular, metabolic and physiological basis of growth in plants and microbes. Research makes extensive use of transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics and flux analysis, as well as modelling techniques. Group members have particular strengths in organelle biology, biotic and abiotic stress biology, primary carbon metabolism, and metabolic network analysis.
- Abiotic stress adaptation - Professor Andrew Smith
- Bacterial plant pathology - Dr Gail Preston
- Carbohydrate metabolism - Dr Nick Kruger
- Leaf-microbe interactions - Prof Renier Van der Hoorn
- Metabolic engineering - Prof Lee Sweetlove
- Metabolic network analysis - Prof George Ratcliffe
- Rhizoshere ecology - Dr Peter Darrah